Family Traditions Can Stir Memories for Those with Dementia
OC Register, Jenna Chandler, December 28, 2014 -
Kim Butrum, a gerontological nurse practitioner and vice president of health services for Silverado, provides tips for interacting with loved ones with Alzheimer’s during holidays.
- Make her feel valuable; if she loves to cook, invite her into the kitchen.
- Don't insist he remember everyone's name and don't correct him if he doesn't.
- Give presents of old family photos and familiar music for reminiscing.
- Avoid chaos and focus on spending one-on-one time together.
- If traveling, don't forget to bring extra water. Elderly people have a diminished sense of thirst, and with memory loss, might not ask for what they need.
To read the full list of tips, click here.