Holiday Recipe: Roast Turkey a’la Leo
Leo Aguilar, Director of Culinary Services at our Bellingham community, shared his recipe for a delightful roast turkey that adds a secret ingredient to bring your bird to the next level!
- 1 whole turkey (about 24-30 pounds)
- 1 pound whipped butter
- 1 cup rosemary, thyme and oregano finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh chopped garlic
- 1/4 of a cup kosher salt
- 1/4 of a cup Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 of a cup crushed black peppercorns
- The zest of one lemon (Leo’s secret ingredient!)
- Fold seasonings and butter together until fluffy
- Apply it under the turkey skin.
- Cook the turkey uncovered on a Roasting pan for three and a half hours at 300 degrees until the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees
"After carving, I use the carcasses to make a broth. I roast the carcasses for 1.5 hours and boil that with 1 large onion, 2 carrots and 4 celery stalks that I've blended together. Boil it for four hours at least and keep adding water until is nice and flavorful. Strain it and its ready to be use to make stuffing or gravy."