Parkinson's Awareness Day
To help raise awareness about Parkinson’s disease, its effects and its care, April 11th has been designated as World Parkinson’s Day. Because many care techniques that benefit individuals with dementia also help those with Parkinson’s, Silverado communities are often looked to as a resource for Parkinson’s care.
Here are five Parkinson’s facts you may not know:
- Roughly 1 in 500 people worldwide are affected by Parkinson’s disease
- The average age at the time of a Parkinson’s diagnosis is 56
- Men are twice as likely to be affected by Parkinson’s as women
- Consistent timing is extremely important for administering Parkinson’s medications
- Boxing classes, Tango lessons and some singing exercises can be surprisingly effective ways to help counter some Parkinson’s symptoms
To learn more about Parkinson's disease, click here.