Associate Spotlight: Director of Culinary Services, Justin Roth
This month we are excited to feature our very own Culinary Director, Justin Roth! Justin joins Silverado with an expertise and an impressive background in the culinary arts. Chef Roth was even featured in St. Louis Food and Wine magazine as a sous chef for St. Louis Cellars Food and Wine Company. Read his profile below to get a taste of why he loves cooking!
When did you first find your passion for cooking?
- Justin: "I first found my passion for cooking about 14 years ago while working at a restaurant. I started as a bus boy and dishwasher, I would watch the cooks during my shifts to see how they were doing things. I then started trying different dishes at home when time allowed. Eventually I worked my way up to a line cook and butcher at this restaurant. That didn’t satisfy my passion though. That’s when I decided to go away to culinary arts school and be professionally trained."
What is your favorite dish to make?
- Justin: "I have two favorite dishes right now that our residents get to enjoy. 1) I call this a Appleherbalicious: roasted Pork tenderloin with BLT pasta over a bed of slightly wilted spinach. 2) Seared sea scallops with chipotle cream sauce, sautéed pepper and onion medley, creamy Parmesan risotto."
What do you enjoy most about your job?
- Justin: "I enjoy the fact that I can still use my creative chef mind set given the industry we are in. I come from a country club background so when I came into the memory care field I was worried about quality of food and events that I would be able to do. But at Silverado I am still able to do a lot of the country club style things for our residents and their family members. The look on our residents' faces when they see and taste the dishes that our team creates makes every minute of the hard work worth it."
Why is it important to create an incredible experience every day?
- Justin: "This is extremely important to provide an outstanding quality of life to our residents. Eating is one of the many things they enjoy and are still able to take part in."
Have you ever connected with a Silverado resident or family member through food?
- Justin: "When we held our Oktoberfest event here, we made some outstanding connections. It really hit home for a lot of residents and their families. We served traditional German foods and WOW what an experience to see some of their faces!"
As Silverado’s Culinary Director, what do you look forward to in 2015?
- Justin: "In 2015, I am excited for our community to be full and am looking forward to continue to develop my associates to be the future Culinary Directors of Silverado. I would like to see some new communities come open because I would love to travel there and help get them started in the culinary department as well as assist with their grand openings. Lastly, I'm looking forward to continue to enrich the lives of those we serve through the culture of Silverado."
Testimonial: "The constant communication regarding my mother's care and all events Silverado make this a comforting and positive encounter."
Testimonial: "The staff here I cannot say enough good things about. They are all caring and I am confident [my brother] is in the right place..."