President/Chief Executive Officer/Chairman of the Board
As founder, president, chairman and CEO of Silverado, Loren Shook is often recognized as a memory care futurist. Loren is a true visionary – helping to transform an industry while creating thousands of healthcare jobs – but he is most driven by a lifelong commitment to changing lives.
Loren assures that Silverado has the organizational structure and culture that empowers all leaders to lead, and enables frontline associates to care for the loved ones of the families they serve. His role is to ideate and lead strategic planning, identify new opportunities, partner with key public policy influencers and further the industry – making it possible for Silverado to achieve its mission and vision to change the world. A leader in senior housing, he frequently speaks at national and international events, and has presented to the Senate Special Committee on Aging – bringing insight on how to provide quality of life for people with Alzheimer's disease.
Loren is the recipient of awards that include the University of California Irvine’s Institute for Memory Impairment and Neurological Disorders’ (UCI MIND) 2015 Community Leadership Honoree Award, Southern California 55+ Housing Council’s Person of the Year Award, Boomer Business Summit's Innovation in Leadership and Service Award, Mission Hospital Foundation’s Vision Award, Ernest & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year award in health care and others. He co-authored New Possibilities in Memory Care: The Silverado Story and The Silverado Story: A Memory Care Culture Where Love is Greater than Fear. Prior to founding Silverado, he served as President and COO of Community Psychiatric Centers, an international NYSE company.
Loren is proud of creating an environment where people help other people achieve their dreams – such as a caregiver who becomes a Registered Nurse and Director of Health Services, a case manager who becomes President and CEO of a multi-state behavioral hospital company, or an associate who starts her own company. His greatest passion in life is helping everyone he touches find quality of life, including friends, family, Silverado residents, patients, clients and associates – and witnessing what the Silverado team has done to improve quality of life for the memory impaired by demonstrating for others what is possible and then seeing those principles adopted throughout the world, improving countless lives beyond our reach!
Other Key Accomplishments
- Co-founder of Silverado, which currently has 36 communities specializing in serving those with Alzheimer's and other memory impairing conditions, 10 Silverado Hospice sites, including Palliative care, and 6 Silverado Home Care offices.
- Wall Street track record with 17 years of consistent compounded earnings growth of 15 percent or more.
- Key player in the growth and development of Community Psychiatric Centers, a NYSE company, from 9 to 50 behavioral healthcare systems throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom with a market value in excess of $1 billion.
Current Board Member
- Argentum, Chairman of the Board, Executive Committee Member
- University of Southern California Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, Board of Councilors
- Covenant Health Network, Board Member
- American Seniors Housing Association, Executive Board of Directors
Past Board Member
- Mission Hospital Foundation, Board of Directors, Chair and Executive Committee Member
- National Investment Center (NIC), Board of Directors and Chair of the Operations Advisory Committee
- University of California Irvine Institute for Memory Impairment & Neurological Disorders (MIND), Advisory Board Member
- California Assisted Living Association (CALA), Chairman of the Board and Executive Committee Member
- Texas Assisted Living Association, Board of Directors
- Alzheimer's Association of Orange County, President, Board of Directors and Executive Committee Member
- University of Maryland Baltimore Campus, Erickson School of Aging Studies, Board of Councilors
- Community Psychiatric Centers, Board of Directors
- National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems, Board of Directors & President