Silverado Research Affiliations
One of the best ways to make progress in the treatment, and ultimately the prevention, of Alzheimer's Disease is through research. We collaborate as a research site with many outstanding research organizations to develop and perfect new effective treatments and caring techniques that will improve the quality of life for our residents and their families.
Find a Silverado Location
Senate Special Committee on Aging held a forum to hear thoughts from leading experts on Alzheimer’s on how to improve quality of care for those suffering from the disease. Loren Shook, President and CEO of Silverado was invited to address the committee. He shared Silverado’s person-centered culture and fielded questions by members of the committee on challenges the healthcare industry is facing in adequately caring for those with Alzheimer’s. This same day the Senate approved NAPA with unanimous consent.
- Pharamacological Research with individuals diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease.
- Research study on the effects of natural light on persons with dementia. Primary researcher:
- Sonia Ancoli-Israel, M.D., with the assistance of Dr. Peter Brooks, UCSD and Wendy Graca, RN, then-Director of Health Services, Silverado.
- Some residents have donated their brains to UCSD for research.
University of California Los Angeles
- Research site for the Alzheimer's disease Research Center
- Research project on the assessment of available quality of care for people with Alzheimer's disease
To learn more about UCLA's Easton Center for Alzheimer's Research click here.
California State University Los Angeles
- Graduate Program in Geography and Urban Analysis Research project on the assessment of available quality of care for people with Alzheimer's disease.
California State University Fullerton
- Research study on the impact of dementia on balance.
To learn more about CSUF click here.
Azusa Pacific University, School of Social Work:
- Research on the relationship between depression and dementia.
To learn more about APU's School of Social Work click here.
Baylor College of Medicine:
- Research studies on pain management, et. al.
To learn more about the Baylor College of Medicine click here.
University of Utah, Department of Educational Psychology
- Research study on relationship between activity participation and quality of life satisfaction for persons with dementia.
- Primary Researcher: Dahvyn Osher, under the direction of Dr. Robert Hill, Chair, Dept of Educational Psychology.
To learn more about the University of Utah, Department of Educational Psychology click here.
Houston Veteran's Administration Hospital
- Research studies in conjunction with Baylor University
To learn more about Houston Veteran's Administration Hospital click here.
University of North Texas
- Research involving "Mental Aerobics" a study engineered by Dr. Bert Hayslip and Kay Paggi, which examines the function of cognitively stimulating activities in delaying memory loss and improving cognitive and interpersonal functioning among residents
To learn more about UNT click here.
Read about other areas of Silverado's research involvement.
Learn more about the specific studies Silverado has participated in with our many research partners.